Thursday, December 25, 2008

Lessons from Garlic, Onions, and Peppers

Rog and I spent a couple of days in Tucson visiting with some family and dear friends for the Christmas holiday.

We volunteered to help our friends prepare dinner one evening and then breakfast the next morning. Some of the most wonderful food was whipped up, and, to my surprise, personal growth too.

I learned a new way of peeling garlic gloves and using a garlic press after many years of doing it my way. Karleena tried a new way of making garlic bread which proved easier as well as delicious. Rog learned how to caramelize onions and peppers.

And then there was John who learned that he could easily and lovingly supervise and teach us assistant chefs in a way that did not disturb his peace and was actually enjoyable and worthy of accolades. All this while saving him time and effort too – he didn’t have to do it all alone.

It was a gift for me to receive an impromptu experience and demonstration of true teamwork, cooperation, and community. I’ve experienced it in some 12 Step service projects, but for the most part have little experience of it from my family of origin. It’s not something to be seen or had easily these days, although it is mine and Rog’s hope to see it and be a part of it in greater abundance in the times to come.

We are seeking to live in community - with harmony. It takes consciousness, openness, honesty, love, and respect. I know it is possible - thanks to our dear friends – my true family – and Spirit. What a delightful Christmas gift!

No comments: