Sunday, December 7, 2008

Prayer

What is prayer? It is a mental process and when I’m in the ‘right’ space it is surely a heartfelt thing.

Years ago when I first joined a 12 Step program, I learned that prayer was talking to God. For me, it is a time like no other in which I am communing with Spirit, just the two of us building our relationship. Sure there are other times when I’m building that relationship, like when I’m being of service helping another person, for surely when two or three of us are gathered in His name, therein is God in the midst of them... But to be alone with God, one on one, is a different encounter, a different experience.

So if prayer includes the aforementioned, then as this morning’s reading pointed out, it’s not a device for getting you what you want. “Prayer is a means of bringing you to the point where you will accept what God wants.” Furthermore,

“You learn to say, “This is what I’d like to have, Lord, if You think it’s all right for me, but if You don’t, then give me what You want me to have or show me what You want me to do.”

Positive Living Day by Day, Norman Vincent Peale, page 356

I find myself more and more releasing what I think I want, and asking God to show me His will, His way. I am letting go. And, I am gaining more peace, for which I am grateful.

No comments: