Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Mother In Us All

I made the conscious choice to not have children in this lifetime. As I grew older and remained single, I figured that when I finally met my life partner, in all likelihood he’d have been married at least once already and probably have children. That was ok with me – I just didn’t want to raise them.

And so it was with Rog... His children were in their early 20’s when we met up in Summer 2004. Since they all lead active adult lives, I’ve not spent large chunks of time with them, although I do enjoy their company and I think they’d say it’s mutual.

It’s been almost 5 years now and I’ve never felt that I was really a mom, a step mom that is. The first time someone referred to me using that label I truly didn’t know who they were referring to! I’ve felt perhaps I was like an older sister – and, at times, when I wasn’t up to date with the latest lingo (like what “411” means), I’ve felt like the younger one!

So, Mother’s Day is not a day that is about me. Just because I’m a woman, doesn’t mean I’m a mom (as I felt that assumption was made today at church). I love to hug, and do tend to be nurturing, but hey, I’m a Cancer!

I am grateful for the women who are great moms and role models, not just for their children, but for all humanity. And, I see that Mother’s Day can be a day to celebrate the Divine Feminine in us all, regardless if we’ve given birth to a child or not.

So, whatever your gender, whatever your station in life, Happy Mother’s Day!

No comments: