Monday, May 18, 2009

Time

Several weeks ago, a friend appeared on my doorstep, after us losing touch for a year or so. It was a wonderful delight and I realized how much I missed not having her in my life.

A week ago I started culling through six boxes of documents and files spanning back more than a decade, many of which were related to my life when I lived in Santa Fe. It was a lengthy stroll down Memory Lane. The next day I received an email informing me about the death of a 12 Step friend/client from that time in my life. I thought it synchronistic.

Yesterday, I received a Facebook invitation from someone I’d known in undergrad days, more than 35 years ago. His name had crossed my mind just a day before, but it had rarely done so in all these years. I thought it weird; perhaps it was synchronistic too. As we emailed back and forth, I was amazed that so many years could have passed – how could that be?

As I pack for our move, I’m being given the opportunity to clean up and get rid of stuff – and that includes more than just the physical. Going back in time to remember my philosophy, my lifestyle, my career, etc., I’m getting to see how much I’ve grown spiritually (I was an atheist until 19 years ago) as well as how the essence of Joyce has remained the same. And, I am getting to decide what I want to keep in my life – possessions, relationships, ideas...

There really is no such thing as time, and we live in multi-dimensions simultaneously. Still, I could spend many hours living in the ‘past’ and communicating about the old times, but I don’t want to get stuck there. The present is what matters. God isn’t in the past or in the future. God is here now.

No comments: