Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Buddha Wheel

When I lived in Santa Fe, I used to ride a stationary exercise bike. I got into the habit of using the time to pray continuously, specifically for people. It was a wonderful experience each morning. Not only did it connect me with Spirit, but it connected me with people who I no longer physically lived closed to and missed.

Two wonderful exercises: physical and spiritual. My spiritual mentor at the time said my practice reminded him of the Buddha wheel.

“The wheel's motion is a metaphor for the rapid spiritual change engendered by the teachings of the Buddha.
It represents the endless cycle of rebirth, which can only be escaped by means of the Buddha's teachings. And some Buddhists regard the wheel's three basic parts as symbols of the "three trainings" in Buddhist practice: The hub symbolizes moral discipline, which stabilizes the mind. The spokes (usually there are eight) represent wisdom which is applied to defeat ignorance. The rim represents training in concentration, which holds everything else together.” [From www.religionfacts.com]

How very interesting...who knew?!

About seven weeks ago, I began making my morning practice an active Kundalini meditation. It consists of four stages of 15” each, with the first three set to music:
1st: Standing with feet firmly planted on the earth, I let my body shake.
2nd: Dancing
3rd: Sitting still
4th: Laying down in silence

During the active stages (1st and 2nd) I’ve worked on keeping my thoughts focused on the music or saying affirmations. But often, my mind wanders to details of everyday life, which is exactly what I’m looking to get away from. I’ve not felt this a good use of the mental part of this practice and recently asked Spirit, my angels, and all others interested in my upliftment for help. I prayed for focus and to make the best use of this time as Spirit saw fit.

Today I got the notion to continuously pray for my friends, family, and anyone that came to mind. And so I did. How wonderful to connect with Spirit and others in this way once more.

Looks like I’m back on the Buddha wheel again, opening up my heart, and reaching out to others through Spirit...

No comments: