Friday, May 1, 2009

All I Want for Christmas...

... is my one front tooth!

I chipped my #8 tooth in my Girl Scout days (40+ years ago) and eventually landed up with a crown. Last fall, I was eating ice cream and – surprise! – I bit into a piece of Heath bar, jarring my crown. The crown not only came off, but the actual tooth came with it!

The permanent solution is a 9+ month, expensive process. The temporary solution is cosmetic only, with my dentist using some kind of super glue to anchor it as best as possible. This lasts for 4 – 12 weeks at a time; and, the crown falls out with little or no advanced notice. As you might imagine, this situation can be angst-producing. Last night without notice, my tooth came out again, only a few weeks after having it super-glued in for the 3rd time. Once again, my world stopped.

As I was engaged in this morning’s practice (it’s too early to call the dentist), my anguish came up again, mainly about how my mouth and smile look. After all, it’s right in front! Then the thought crossed my mind that this is just my tooth. I still have the use of my legs and arms – I am not incapacitated. I can still see and hear and I have my mind. I’m not in pain. I am blessed.

The worse effects of this situation is that I have a little difficulty eating (believe me, I won’t starve!), forming certain sounds is impaired, and there’s this gap right in front of my mouth, so my smile is ugly. But worse comes to worse, I can place my hand in front of my mouth as I talk so as to not gross anyone out.

Yes, I really do want my front tooth back, whole and healthy. Until the permanent solution is enacted, I will remember that I am already whole and healthy. There is Divine Order, and as usual, something to be learned from the situation and another way to grow closer to Spirit. I truly am grateful.

No comments: