Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Illusion of Judgment

It is necessary for the teacher of God to realize, not that he should not judge, but that he cannot. In giving up judgment, he is merely giving up what he did not have. He gives up an illusion; or better, he has an illusion of giving up.” - A Course in Miracles - Manual for Teachers, page 27.2.1-3

Lately, it seems that words of wisdom about judgment abound - so it’s obviously more time for me to learn and move forward on this issue in my life. This time around, the lesson actually feels gentler...

I cannot judge anything or anyone because I can never know all the details of a situation or a person’s life. Just trying to imagine – let alone know – all facts past, present, and yes, even future, is impossible as a human being, not to mention exhausting! It is a great burden.

Now why would I want to give myself such a task as well as subject a situation or person to such an impossible way of my trying to make a decision? I’d only be doing it if I were insane, which when I’m in my ego, that is my mind’s state.

So, I gratefully lay down this illusion that exacts such a cost to me and my relationships. With that, I can happily and surely follow God’s guidance, knowing that it is only God who knows the whole story, including that each of us is guiltless and without sin.

No comments: