Monday, January 26, 2009

My Work of Art

"In a sense, as we are creative beings, our lives become our work of art." – The Artist’s Way (by Julia Cameron, page xvi)

Hmmm. Yes, my life is a work of art. I would characterize it as a colorful work of art. I have led, excuse me – created – an interesting life over the years. Here are some highlights, meaningful, wide brush strokes with many details no doubt accompanying them on the canvas:

. Majored in philosophy and sociology in college
. Worked for a railroad
. Switched career from the transportation industry to the financial one
. Joined a 12 Step program at age 35
. Became greatly involved in volunteer work
. Left corporate world to work on graduate studies full-time
. Earned Master of Social Work degree
. Relocated from NY, my lifelong home town and city of 8 million people, to the 4,000 population southwest town of Taos, NM – solo at the age of 41
. Employed by Native Americans to help their pueblo community
. Launched my own business as The Computer Therapist, combining my geek skills with my therapeutic skills
. Met and married (first time) my twin flame – Rog – at close to 50 years of age
. My three best friends attended our wedding
. Have a dynamic partnership with my husband in our personal relationship, spiritual life, and our business.

But really, how much of my life did I consciously create? It is only since I started waking up spiritually, commencing with joining the 12 Step program, and coming to believe in God, that I feel I was creating what I wanted, no longer drifting aimlessly and without guidance.

My life – my relationships, my work – has been so much richer, so much more creative, since I started waking up and forging a relationship with Spirit. And after all, that’s no surprise since Spirit and creativity are intimately intertwined.

No comments: