Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Truth

How do we know what's true? Science? Intuition? Meditation? Perhaps there is no way to know the truth...

This was the topic of Monday night’s Gilbert Spirituality Meetup. The discussion was interesting, the personal sharing insight-provoking, and the discussion touched upon a number of other topics, some of which have been themselves the focus of a full evening.

Here’s some bullet points about what I heard regarding truth:

The observer influences the object being perceived.
Repeated thoughts create beliefs, which lead to one’s truth.
Truth changes as we change.
Truth is either “relative” or “absolute.” Relative truth is phenomenal, behavioral, or intellectual. Absolute truth is that which you can’t understand but which you know is true.
There are levels of truth: known, unknown, unknowable.
Truth cannot be rationalized.

Personally, since coming to believe in God, my notion of what is true has changed. Just like when I held an atheistic philosophy which had me perceive the world one way, as a theist I see the world in a way that reflects that view. And, where once I thought I was so logical and strictly in my head that I could be 100% objective about matters, I now see that is not so.

Once again my heart and mind resonated with a lot of what was said. We members have a lot of similar ideas and experiences regarding spirituality. It’s fun to see it revealed.

Here’s one last point of information that was shared: Do you know the difference between a metaphysician and a physicist? Metaphysicians don’t like to do the math!

No comments: