Sunday, April 5, 2009

Experiments

Rog’s ‘dowry’ included a bread machine. He kept it idle for a while, then started using it again last fall. I finally got up the courage to learn how to use it a few months ago so I could make breads of the whole grain variety, my preference (I can be pretty picky about some foods).

I usually don’t follow a recipe after the first time. Okay, even then I tend to experiment. Nevertheless, using fine quality ingredients, the bread usually rises well, looks good, and tastes great. However, there are times when the chemistry of the combined ingredients causes my concoction to form something that looks like....well, that doesn’t quite look like a loaf of bread! However, despite its looks, it usually does taste great, which is the most important thing.

Like the bread I concocted yesterday... It never did form into a ball or rise properly. This got me thinking about me and my life.

I’ve not led the life of the average women of my generation, and I’ve not been afraid to experiment and try new ways. Also, I may not always look great and I may not respond wisely in every single situation. But the ingredients inside me are of fine quality: my caring nature, perseverance, joy, laughter, intelligence, honesty, integrity, walking the walk, etc. My ingredients are of fine quality – they are of Spirit. When all is said and done, my light shines. Just like my bread experiments – they delight one’s taste buds.

As for yesterday’s bread... Well, it didn’t rise more than ½ of what it should have, but it turned out super delicious!

No comments: