Sunday, April 12, 2009

Out of Dodge

Today is six years that I ‘got out of Dodge.’ Translated that means that I left Santa Fe, New Mexico and moved to the Phoenix Metro area of Arizona. That’s the short story.

The longer version goes like this (there’s also the longest version!). After 7+ years of living in NM and tired of hearing myself complain about not liking living there, I made a significant spiritual shift. Up until that time I had been telling myself the story that I couldn’t make another move because (1) I didn’t have the financial means to do so, and (2) I didn’t want to keep moving around until I found the perfect place. The point is, I was trying to do it all by my lonesome. Finally, I woke up and remembered to ask God for help. Duh. Then I was no longer alone (as if I’d ever really been) and I had the power of God consciously behind me.

And, ask God for help I did. My side of the conversation went like this:

“God, I really need Your help to get out of here. I’ll do anything that is required – even get a job! You know that I’ve said I’d never work for someone else again after being in my own business. Yes, I’ll do even that as I sooo want and need to get out of here. But, YOU have to handle the money!” A bit pushy, huh? But, I was clear, and I was open and willing.

And, I did do everything I could, trusting along the way that God would come through on His end. He did, in a way I could never have imagined (via my dad coming back into my life). It was a wonderful lesson contrasting how my life is when I don’t ask for God’s help and when I do.

Perhaps I wouldn’t have had to stay in ‘Dodge’ for as long as I did if I’d remembered my Source sooner – I don’t know. But there is no question in my mind that when I was ready to ask for help, God was there immediately to listen and help (He’d never left). Fresh from that experience, I said I never wanted to forget that powerful lesson ever, and that’s pretty much been the case.

Now six years have passed living in a place I’ve enjoyed and another move is under way, initiated by the Universe but one I’m looking forward to. I’m glad to have that experience in my memory bank and heart. This move seems even more impossible to work out than that last one. But I know whose team I’m a part of and who is my Source and Helper. As long as I seek God’s guidance, remain open, and willing, I’m confident that God will come through again in such a large matter.

Oh yeah - I didn’t have to go get a job. Spirit arranged it financially that I could continue with my own business when I moved from the Land of Enchantment to the Valley of the Sun!

No comments: