Friday, April 24, 2009

Modern Meditation

Many moons ago, the fundamental concerns of human beings were basically food, clothing, and shelter. Not that those were insignificant concerns, but boy, I bet meditation was pretty simple back then!

These days, the mind can wrap itself around many more thoughts to distract us from being peaceful in the silence. Think about it. We have far more things in our lives today that provide perfect detours from getting and staying still.

I need to check my email... the car needs an oil change... we’ve run out of gluten to make bread... the water bill needs to get paid.
Or perhaps it’s like this: One-year old Jaynie must get into Yale when she’s 18... First class isn’t available on the flight to Bermuda... My presentation isn’t good enough... people do not understand the importance of bees...

Whatever its flavor, it’s crazy! Quiet, meditation with a blank mind is something I strive for, yearn for.

I pray for the chatter to cease so that I may “be still and know God.”

No comments: