Sunday, April 26, 2009

The World

I’m one of the most logical people I know. This ability strongly impacted my life and personal relationships – not always for the good – until I joined a 12 Step program, opening the door to a new way of thinking, a new perspective on life. Over the years I’ve striven to use less logic and analysis and operate more from my heart, my intuition.

As amazing as it may sound for a church service, this morning’s message at Unity focused on Quantum Physics. I was really struck by the idea that even though quantum physics is such a part of our daily life and tools, our thinking is still firmly entrenched in Newtonian Physics.

According to Newtonian Physics, the universe is a huge mechanical system of solid objects based on absolute (fixed) time and three dimensional space and as such is linear (uniform). The universe is considered strictly deterministic and causal in nature. From this perspective, everything is perceived as being separate from everything else. Boy, does this explain a lot about today’s society: greed, isolation, ‘dog-eat-dog’ mentality, etc. This outlook cannot promote harmony and peace, that’s for sure!

Quantum Physics deals with the behavior of matter and energy on the minute scale of atoms and subatomic particles. “... you must forget about all logical physical laws, because the laws in the subatomic world are inconceivable for us.” Quantum Physics says that in essence the physical universe is just a myriad of "tendencies to exist" associated with a vast interconnected energy field. In the realm of Quantum Physics, observing something actually influences the physical processes taking place.

As far as I’m concerned, people have never seemed to behave or think very logically. I’m beginning to understand why. This really isn’t a logical, cause-and-effect world. Quantum Physics provides a better explanation of my world. It allows for multiple dimensions, mystery, synchronicity, adventure, and Oneness.

No comments: