Monday, February 8, 2010

Transformation

Although I was not acquainted with Brugh Joy while he graced this earth, since his passing in December 2009, I’ve been introduced to him and his work in heart centered transformational healing and spiritual enlightenment.

A practice he taught to embrace the changes in one’s life are known as the Three Injunctions:
- Make no comparisons
- Make no judgments
- Delete the need to understand

People often complain about change, but that is the only thing certain about life. And, change makes us know that we are alive, moving forward, and not stagnated. While it seems to be the case that humans need to reach bottom in order to wake up, and that it is often accompanied by suffering, practicing these injunctions help to positively move through changes that are most challenging.

And, speaking from experience, like so many others, I know the more extreme the situation, the greater my spiritual growth has been. For instance, reaching bottom with my eating disorder and finally seeking a solution was a life altering experience. My disorder was not only arrested, but my life was enhanced “beyond my wildest dreams.” It was the beginning of my waking up, and I “came to believe” in a power greater than myself, connecting with a God of my understanding.

In essence, I learned Dr. Joy’s injunctions in my 12 Step work years ago. Practicing them has served me well and continued awareness will hold me in good stead as I move my life forward in this ever-accelerating world of change.

No comments: