Thursday, February 18, 2010

Spiritual Contracts

I have a friend who talks a lot about spiritual contracts.

My understanding is that a spiritual contract is the agreement between two souls to get together in a future lifetime to learn and grow together. It may be for business, love, familial, etc. experiences. And, my understanding is that once the contract has been fulfilled, each party is free to move on.

I think this concept is an interesting one and a most plausible explanation for the reason why some of the people who once were such a prominent part of my life are no longer in it at all.

Take for instance my friend, Gloria. We met in college and she became like a sister to me, the one I never had. We partied, ‘man-hunted’, shared life together in many ways. She married my favorite brother, and was a primary relationship in my life for most of 33 years. Then almost overnight she was gone.

One might say our relationship couldn’t survive her divorce after 25 years of marriage to my brother. Or that she was so overwhelmed from exhaustion and grief over the ten-year battle her ‘baby’ sister waged against cancer that she was a big part of. Or that she truly couldn’t forgive me for something she had imagined as a transgression of trust. Or... the stories could be endless, and I don’t suspect I’ll ever know what happened (although ‘the door is always open').

The idea that we had a spiritual contract that had been fulfilled makes a lot of sense to me. We had our time together, full of laughter, tears, confidences, etc. She was the very first person (in a platonic sense) aside from the few hugs I had received by some relatives, who embraced hugging as a natural phenomenon. She taught me its importance both emotionally and physically; she taught me about love.

I’m so grateful that Gloria was able to attend my wedding and help celebrate my finally finding The Man, the life partner I had so yearned for and that she was so well aware of since our college days. She was out of my life within my first year of marriage.

I can think of other folks who have come into my life, taught me some important lessons and vice versa I’m hoping, and then vanished. I’ve long since gotten over the pain of their departure and now the idea of spiritual contracts closes the door on questions of ‘why?’

Dear Spirit of the Most High-
Thank You for the people who agreed to meet me back here for another round of life learning and love. Bless them, bless them, bless them.

No comments: