Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Forgiveness

Last night I decided on the topic for the next Gilbert Spirituality Meetup – forgiveness –, wrote a little bit about it, then posted the Meetup.

Tonight I was looking online for a prayer to post on my blog since I’m tired and it is much later than I’d like it to be. I stumbled upon the story of St. Patrick, and how apropos since today is St. Patrick’s Day! But even more ‘coincidental’, is that I learned that his story is one about forgiveness.

He was actually British and when he was 16-years old, he was kidnapped by Irish pirates and placed into slavery. Years after escaping, only through the alchemy of prayer, was he finally able to transmute his hatred for his captors into eventual forgiveness. Patrick's religious experiences along the way led him toward the priesthood. He came to believe very strongly that it was God's hand that first took him to Ireland, and that God was calling him to return. So after Patrick became a bishop, he journeyed back to Ireland, but this time by his own free will, on a mission of love and mercy.

But could it also be ‘coincidence’ that the very next page I came upon was an article by Leonard J. Ross about the power of forgiveness ? I think not. Most people who know me know that it was through synchronicity that I came to believe, and I do not believe in coincidences.

Yes, I know about the power of forgiveness and I know about synchronicity being a method in which God sends me messages. So, it’s clear that my forgiveness work is still to be in the forefront of my life at this time.

So much for using someone else’s prayer tonight to post a blog!

Dear Spirit-
Thank You for Your clear messages of where I need to focus my inner work.

No comments: