Thursday, March 26, 2009

Friendship Anniversary

Today is the 25th anniversary of my friendship with Karen. It was 25 years ago on the very first day of a new job at American Express in New York, that I heard Karen’s laughter ripple across the 18th floor. I’m blessed to have had that joyful laughter in my life all these years since.

We of course have been through a lot and shared a lot. However, one of my most poignant remembrances is how Karen stood by me through my days as a devout, militant atheist. If we somehow dared to get into a discussion on God and religion, I was quite outspoken about my beliefs – it was not a pretty sight. But Karen stood by me. She loved me. She mentioned that she thought “the lady hath protest too much.” She accepted me and respected me.

About 6 years into our friendship I joined OA, and, through the 12 Step program, my entire outlook on God, people, and life was transformed. It’s been quite a journey. And, Karen’s been there all along the way.

I’m blessed and most grateful to have such a person in my life. Thank You, God – and Happy Anniversary to us, Karen!

No comments: