Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spiritual Refreshment

I’ve just come home from a Unity service. I was exhausted as I left the house, having stayed up way too late working on computer-related projects. Nonetheless, I knew that going to Unity would be a worthwhile activity as it would feed my soul (my most important need) and then even perhaps refresh my body. It did.

There, I was in the company and energy of other people seeking peace, comfort, and connection. I was refreshed through meditation, prayer, words of the lesson, and music.

Dear, sweet music for my soul. An instrumentalist, Paul McDermand, played steel drums choosing selections mellow enough for the setting. It’s unusual to not have a singer to provide the gift of music, but Paul’s music was delightful, and seeing the joy upon his face as he worked his art was an additional boost for my spirit.

And, I “lifted my voice” several times in song, my most enjoyable pastime. In so doing, I was also of service. Observing that there was no formal singer to lead the congregation in song, I decided that I would really put my all into singing and hopefully aid others in their musical expression. Besides, I was alone in my 2nd row position and there was no one sitting in the row in front of me to disturb! Singing spiritual songs with all my heart and in bold voice, I felt wonderful.

I don’t know if anyone around me heard me or was helped by me. But, I know that my idea was inspired and following it put me in a giving space and made me feel a closer connection to Spirit and the other church attendees. It was additional spiritual fuel for my soul, a surprise treat.

There are many ways to give, and it is no doubt true that as we give, we receive.

Now I’m fueled up spiritually, physically too, and ready to move forward in my day.

Thank You, Spirit, for the myriad ways I receive connection and I get to give.

No comments: