Friday, September 4, 2009

Awakening Along the Creek

Sitting on a rock alongside Tonto Creek near Payson, AZ, yesterday, I realized how easy it is for me to be in Nature and totally forget about the rest of my life, the rest of the world. Ahhh... Poof – they're gone!

That’s not to say there wasn’t any busyness going on. There was so much activity to observe in the creek that I could keep myself busy just observing for hours – blissfully so.

The water striders’ 3 pairs of legs reflected off the rock surfaces visible through the clear water. These fascinating creatures (I learned this morning via the Web) live on the surfaces of ponds, slow streams and other quiet waters; hence, they are sometimes called pond skaters and Jesus Bugs because they "walk" on water. There’s a reminder of Spirit!

Then there was the twig flowing downstream until it came up against some rocks. I thought it would just hang out there, not resisting, until something propelled it to move forward. Just waiting, with ‘patience’ and ‘joy’ to see where the flow would take it. What a concept for my own world.

Just focusing on the creek water flowing onward and onward, in and of itself a peaceful meditation, evoked the idea of the possibility of tranquility in my own life. What do I do or be to make it so?

I understand why many folks view Nature as their Higher Power. There is certainly wonder, creation, power, comfort, patience, and many of the attributes of my own conception of God that dwells there, externally and within.

I am grateful for this delightful and awakening experience in the woods, and know I’ll be spending more time with God in the form of Mother Nature.

No comments: