Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Success

Success has usually been talked about in terms of material wealth.

When I was in the dungeon of despair during my active binging days, material possessions could not bring me peace, love, or joy. When I came to believe in a Power greater than myself, it was even clearer to me that living a successful life could not be defined heavily in terms of the physical world.

These 19+ years later, and especially in the midst of the current economic, political, crazy times, I have no doubt of the meaning of success. A ‘successful’ day is one measured by how loving I’ve been in my interactions, how peaceful I feel within, and how connected I feel to Spirit.

The principles in the 12 Step Program include: honesty, faith, courage, integrity, willingness, humility, brotherly love, perseverance, and service. As I go about the activities of my day and when I reflect back on it when it has ended, I know it’s been a successful one when I have practiced those principles in all of my affairs to the best of my ability, acknowledging God’s Presence throughout it all.

No comments: