Monday, September 14, 2009

Lightening Up

Every other spring or so when I was an adult living in New York, this feeling of wanderlust would come over me. It was this incredible urge to quit or leave everything behind (i.e., the corporate world, whatever possessions didn’t fit into my car), take whatever money I had, and go exploring the country, especially the less-populated areas. A week here, a month or two there, work for a while as a waitress, spend a lot of time reading and relaxing, and have virtually little or no care in the world. A simple life for my spirit that yearned for freedom.

I couldn’t bring myself to go on this wanderlust journey until I joined the 12 Step Program, came to believe in a personal loving, caring God, and had developed more strong, loving, supportive friendships. Then, because I no longer felt alone, I could leave – a paradox for sure! When I swung into high gear to make it happen, it didn’t. God had other plans for me which required me to stay in the Big Apple. “Thy Will, not mine,” prevailed.

Several years later, I relocated from the 8 million population of the “Naked City” to Taos, NM, with a population of 4,000. Living in the Southwest, in an adobe house on a hill overlooking grazing horses with Taos Mountain in view, and in a slower living mode, I felt like this was a version of my wanderlust and I was at peace.

As Rog and I prepare to leave our house and life in Gilbert, AZ for a new start in Sedona/Cottonwood, I feel like we’re going on a working vacation for a month or two (that’s because we might rent a room in someone’s home until we can do something else). But perhaps it’s more like going on my wanderlust again.

You see, we’ve been getting rid of so much ‘stuff’ so that we can avoid large monthly storage fees, simply our lives, and lighten up. It is nice and freeing – it’s amazing what we rarely use (clothes, kitchen things, etc) and how little we need. Our souls feel lighter and more joyful without these attachments, and hence freer. Less baggage (of all kinds), more freedom.

It’s actually not what I was thinking or planning at this point in my life, but I’m most excited. This time around, not only am I not alone because God is with me, but I also have my honeybunch, Rog.

Thank You, Spirit, for the freedom we enjoy through You, the many blessings showered upon us daily, and for moving us forward in Your Plan.

No comments: