Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cries for Love

I arose from bed last night around midnight and worked on a client’s website until 3 AM. Sure, I love doing website design, but the stronger reason for following such an off-beat schedule was the barking dogs next door – and their screaming mom.

This has been going on ever since these folks moved in, but with no need for a/c these days and the windows open wide, the sound is especially loud. Part of me wants to scream above the screaming mom to stop screaming. But the spiritual, loving, understanding, more mature part of me knows better.

A Course in Miracles says that there is only Love - a person is either extending love or crying out for love. Everyone in this circus next door is living in fear (the seeming opposite of love) and crying for love.

From almost the beginning, there was no doubt in my mind that our neighbors were a dysfunctional family. It showed in the way they take care – rather do not take care of - the property, their children, their health, their plants, their pets. When Mom screams at the pooches it’s because she just doesn’t know what to do, and is projecting her fear onto them. And, the pooches are making a ruckus because they’re not comfortable living outdoors (especially in 115 degree weather), tethered, and lacking attention. Everyone seems lost.

So even though last night I gave up on getting some sleep until the wee hours of the morn, I did send loving prayers to dogs and humans alike. They’re all hurting, they’re all in need of love. I can do my best to give them that; then I release them to God.

Time and again I am reminded that the circumstances in life in and of themselves are not as important as how I respond to them. I am grateful for my awareness and for conducting myself in a loving matter.

Perhaps tonight will be the night that my neighbors feel love, settle down, feel at peace and rest in the quiet of night - I’d like to join them.

No comments: