Friday, December 4, 2009

Worry and God

If I truly believe in God, why should I worry about anything?

In Kathryn Slattery’s experience as a worrier, she realized, “Worrying gave me a false sense that I was "doing something" about a problem, when in fact I was actually wasting valuable mental energy and accomplishing nothing!” How very true. When I worry, first of all, my mind is preoccupied with the future which isn’t yet here. I’m not accomplishing anything by worrying - in fact, I am adversely impacting my physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual health.

Kathryn looked to the Bible, which has a lot to say on the topic. In Matthew’s gospel, Jesus says, “Do not worry. Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? So do not worry.” As Kathryn points out, it’s worth noting that the apostle Paul does not encourage us to “Worry without ceasing.” Instead, he writes, “Pray without ceasing.” Prayer is both the opposite and the antidote to worry. I cannot worry and pray at the same time, just like I cannot be in fear and faith simultaneously.

Kathryn has a friend, who when she finds herself worrying, uses it as a reminder of how much she needs God. On her nightstand she keeps a plaque that says, “Stop worrying and go to sleep. I’ll be up all night anyway. Love, God.” Yes, God is always up, always awake and present. And, God has the power to accomplish anything, unlike moi.

If I believe in a Higher Power - God - that is all loving, all good, all powerful, etc., why indeed am I worrying?

Dear Spirit of the Most High -
May I pray without ceasing, faithful in knowing that You have a Divine Plan and all is exactly as it should be. And so it is.

No comments: