Monday, November 9, 2009

The Good Shepherd

How is that so many of us human beings are easily able to move from experiencing and enjoying goodness to next feeling that it will not last or it will be taken away?

I have been studying Emmet Fox’s analysis of the 23rd Psalm, and it amazes me that any of us – moi included – carry this negative propensity. Where did it come from? I know: programming from parents and society. Well, I’m ready to be re-programmed. And, meditating on this psalm, is a great tool in helping achieve this.

Here’s just the beginning to inspire one and change thought patterns:
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters.


“Lord” means “God”, and as Fox says, it is “my own knowledge of Truth, as that knowledge is the Presence of God in me, my indwelling Christ.” This Lord is my shepherd and he takes care of his sheep. Hence, the Lord will take care of me. Ahh... how sweet the thought.

If I really believe that “I shall not want”, then there is nothing for me to be afraid of. If the Lord/Shepherd is taking care of me, why would I be fearful anyway?

“Green pastures” symbolize an abundance of all good things that I need, and perfect all-around harmony in my life. “They are to be mine permanently and forever, and not merely as a temporary demonstration; that is why I may be said to lie down in them.” Again, a positive thought pattern I choose to internalize.

With “water” symbolizing the soul, the last phrase means that the power of God in prayer sets my soul at rest giving me perfect peace. And, when I have perfect peace, my demonstration must come. With perfect peace, what more could I yearn for anyway?

If I believe in an all-loving, all powerful, etc. God, why oh why do I think that He would not continue to take care of me? With the many blessings and miracles that have been showered upon me throughout my entire lifetime, and particularly in recent months, actually this last week, it is absurd for me to think that God would take me this far only to drop me into an abyss of lack of any kind.

I move forward strengthening my thought system that God is my Source, and only good – yes, only good –comes from this loving, omnipotent, Presence. This brings peace to my soul, tranquility to my life. I am so grateful.

No comments: