Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The End of the World?

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending... - Revelation 1:8

Julia Attaway writes about meeting conflicts surrounding parent-teacher conferences and her children’s activities schedule in a recent Daily Guideposts story.

“After the initial shock of discovering my scheduling mega disaster, I forced myself to take a deep breath. There’s only one thing that helps me when I’m faced with mind-boggling conundrums like this and that’s to remember that logistical problems aren’t actually problems, they’re puzzles. They belong in the crossword-solving part of my brain, not the worry center. No one is going to die or be scarred for life or even require a trip to the doctor if I don’t figure this out. The only true danger is that I’ll stress out and start being unpleasant to my family. So I tossed the problem onto the back burner, where so many insoluble difficulties simmer into solutions.

Last night, around midnight, I think I figured out a way to handle Monday. The logistics require higher math to follow and a cast of thousands to execute, but the plan will probably work. And if it doesn’t, then it doesn’t. It’s neither the beginning nor the end of the world.

Lord, help me to remember that the world won’t fall apart if I’m not able to make things run perfectly smoothly.

With so many additional tasks added to my To Do list related to our relocation, feeding my soul on the new communities’ many events and activities, growing our business, etc., I am grateful for the reminders Julia offers.

My take is: worrying is not necessary; prioritization is helpful; ask for help. Most of all, I am not in control of the world - Spirit is.

God, I know that Divine Order is at work and the world runs perfectly because of it and You, not me. Help me to know what is important in my life, and to take care of myself so that I may serve You well in peace and in joy.

No comments: