Sunday, November 15, 2009

Touched By Spirit

Today’s story from Daily Guideposts is about a woman who found something strange had been happening to her in the last few years: she cried in church. For no reason that she could understand or explain, right in the middle of worship her eyes would tear up; she found it embarrassing.

The same thing started happening during her morning prayer time. She was convinced that this was a side effect of menopause, but that didn’t seem to affect anything other than her worship and prayer time.

When she casually mentioned to a friend how easily the tears flowed when she communicated with God, her friend smiled knowingly. She replied, “That happens to me too. Those tears are an indication that the Holy Spirit has touched me in some way.” The woman no longer felt embarrassed.

Since coming to believe, I too have often been brought to tears. It can occur upon hearing someone share their experience, singing a spiritual song, or while being of service. However, I’ve known it was Spirit touching me and have rarely felt embarrassed.

In fact, for me it is a feeling of relief. Not feeling as connected to Spirit as I’d liked to, with the incessant voices impinging on my meditation, my time for being in the Silence, it is a relief – and a joy – that God could, and is, getting through to my heart, my soul. There is healing and peace here.

I welcome and am grateful for such moments when Spirit and I are so obviously joined together in a Holy Instant.

No comments: