Tuesday, July 21, 2009

God Bless

I had been working with a government employee regarding a social service situation and in my last written correspondence had closed with “God bless.” Somehow I felt that in his line of work he’d appreciate it. I didn’t know how ‘appropriate’ it was, especially in a quasi-business realm, but figured what’s the worse that could happen.

I know as a former atheist whenever someone directed the G-word at me, I cringed. And, in those days, no one would have expressed that in a business situation especially.

But times are different and I am different. Yesterday, as we closed our telephone conversation about the positive outcome of my request, and I thanked him for all his help, Manuel said “God bless you.” Amid my chills, I responded emphatically, “No, God bless you!” I was so touched by his reaching out in that way and felt so close to Spirit. And, even now when I think back on it, I feel tickled by Spirit.

I and the people around me have come a long way. More people are wearing their spirituality on their sleeve and that can only have a positive effect on the world. Every reminder to me throughout the day of The Presence is greatly appreciated. And, every prayerful greeting is terrific icing on the cake.

Make we offer words of blessing to one other as we go about our day, knowing God the Father is with each and every one of us.

No comments: