Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It All Starts With Thought

Over the years, I’ve heard the Bible quote “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” (John 1:1). But I’ve also heard that the word “logos”, from which “word” comes from, can be translated to “thought”. Hence, we then get “In the beginning was the Thought, and the Thought was with God, and the Thought was God.” Thoughts are pretty powerful, I’d say.

A Chinese proverb states: "Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts inspire your words. Be careful of your words, for your words precede your actions. Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits. Be careful of your habits, for your habits build your character. Be careful of your character, for your character decides your destiny."

How true, how true.

Today’s reading contained In God’s Care reminds me that “Although it takes practice to remember to let our Higher Power direct our actions, it will become a habit in time – the healthiest habit we’ll ever develop.”

This is the primary habit for me to cultivate – once again. Sometimes I’m really present, checking in with Spirit, regularly asking for guidance and the willingness with the ability to carry it out. Sometimes, (like yesterday – see blog), I am so wrapped up in minutiae that the greater - and more important – issue of what is God’s Will is taken over by my ego.

If I am to develop healthy habits that ultimately affect my destiny, then there is no doubt I must think about and commune with Spirit. I must be in constant contact with my Higher Power, which this action in and of itself will help me to develop healthy thoughts, words, actions, habits, character, and finally, my destiny. It’s a loop.

How important is thought indeed.

No comments: