Thursday, July 23, 2009

Principles to Live By

There are a number of qualities I’ve cultivated in my years in 12 Step program which were introduced to me vis-à-vis my addiction. As times passes by, I am grateful to see how very often I apply them in my daily life. Things like patience, perseverance, humility, honesty, faith, etc.; these are principles that sum up each of the 12 Steps.

In providing computer-related services to clients, there are times when I get hung up in my work. It could be due to my own lack of knowledge and experience or a glitch in the software I am using. Most everyone knows how computers can be: you can’t live with them and you can’t live without them!

Over a quick lunch break today, Rog was kind enough to let me vent some of the issues I was wrestling with on my current project, for which I’ve been burning the midnight oil on and is due tomorrow. I told him that although they’re frustrating and costing me precious time, in a way I’m still pretty calm. Rog said, “You mean, like you’re not ready to throw the computer out the window yet,” a situation that he knows I’ve coached clients with.

Wow - yeah, that’s right, I’m not ready to throw the computer out the window yet. I’ve still got patience left in me. My perseverance is strong. I am humble and know I don’t have to be perfect. I can be honest and admit my weaknesses. I have numerous resources to go to for help. Perhaps mainly I’m in this space because these days I know I’m not alone.

I’ll say a specific prayer to Spirit before I go back to this project. And, I’ll have confidence that between God, my positive attitude, and the software vendor’s customer service, my work will unfold with ease and grace.

Thank you, Bill Wilson, Dr. Bob, and Spirit for the gift of a way of life that helps me in all matters, paving the way for me to be “happy, joyous, and free.”

No comments: