Friday, July 3, 2009

Spiritual Freedom

As we move into the holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from Great Britain, I can’t say that I consistently feel good about the state of freedom these days in the United States. There has been much erosion over the years in individuals’ rights (think Patriot Act for just one) which impact our lives in the physical realm in numerous ways.

However, I was reminded in today’s Daily Word that spiritual freedom has no limits. Spiritual freedom comes from within. No one can dictate to me what I choose to fill my heart and my mind with. I’m the one who chooses how I experience God, how I pray, and how I practice the presence of God in my daily life. There are no limits except what I impose upon myself.

Regardless of outer circumstances, I will always have my spiritual freedom. I embrace it and I am grateful.

No comments: