Sunday, April 25, 2010

I Need Do Nothing

Yesterday a stranger started a conversation with Rog when he thought that Rog was carrying a bible. I get tickled pink when people are open to connecting - you never know where that holy instant can lead to.

In this case, it led to a number of lessons for Rog and me. This man’s apparent friendliness, apparent openness was his segue into evangelizing about his religion. His apparent interest in Rog’s beliefs was feigned, as he questioned Rog but then glanced at the newspaper. Grilling Rog, quoting scripture left and right with an attitude of righteousness, this man had an agenda to ‘save’ us.

It is a contradiction to me that someone who espouses Jesus as their savior in the same breath does not respect my belief, but points the finger, tells me I’m wrong, and holds an attitude as ‘less than’ towards me. It’s clear that they really don’t get what the real deal is. This is how wars get started. This is operating from ego, not God.

I do not have to agree with you, but I need to respect you. We are all God’s children, all equal. If I am truly an emissary of God, I extend love, acceptance, and peace. The reminder and lesson (again) was that I also respect myself by not participating in other’s agendas. I think it is worthwhile to know where I stand on issues and to clarify my beliefs. But I’m not obligated to share those when asked, especially by a hostile, close-minded party. I have to keep my boundaries.

Today’s Daily Word is Grace. It is a good reminder that I do not need to be saved, I am already perfect and loved the way I am and there is nothing I need to do to earn God’s love.

“As a child I may have learned that I must earn all good things in life. In school, awards are handed out for special achievement; at work, promotions are given to high achievers. I may also have believed that God, too, rewards only those who make an extra effort.

“Grace teaches me that I am loved right where I am, regardless of what I have or have not done. I do not have to earn God's love. I do not have to achieve a certain status or reach a certain milestone to be loved. Right where I am, God loves me.”

Bless those who cross my path to remind me of my true God nature - even when unintended by them.

No comments: