Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Into Action

“The life of the spirit is centrally and essentially a life of action. Spirituality is something done, not merely something believed or known or experienced.” - Mary McDermott Shideler

Living as a monk in a monastery in isolation I would venture is a relatively easy experience compared to being involved in the outside, crazy world. In the outer world however, is where I think the lessons for waking up often come more readily as I interact with a myriad of situations and people.

When I go beyond myself and am of service is often when I feel closest to Spirit. And, that means I am practicing spiritual principles more readily: faith, love, compassion, empathy... I am putting spirituality into action. As the expressions go, “I am putting my money where my mouth is” and I am “practicing what I preach.” For as the Big Book says (page 88), “Faith without works is dead.”

God is with me in all circumstances and with all whom I meet on my path. In the quiet times of silence I connect and refuel; then I venture out into the outer world, putting my spirituality into action. I let God express Its love and light through me; I am a power of example.

No comments: