Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spiritual Acts

Yesterday’s blog touched upon spirituality as action. Last night I was on the receiving end of it.

I’m enrolled in this course called “Spiritual Evolution in Consciousness.” One segment each time involves working in triads with one person as the Sharer, another the Listener, and the third the Observer and holder of the sacred space.

After sharing a recent incident that I was seeking to better understand my old familiar reaction to and thus heal it, I was able to connect some dots from it and my childhood. That felt like progress towards my healing and I was grateful for my colleagues for helping me get to that point. That was spirituality as action on their part.

When we came to the final larger circle of sharing of the evening a man shared the profound insight he received during his triad work. It revolved around his father never telling him as a child that he loved him. However, J---- , over time, was able to teach his dad how to do so and today they enjoy a closer, healthier relationship.

I guess I was open enough by this time in the evening to really take that in. And in so doing, the pain from my own father never uttering the words “I love you” - or even writing them in a card - surfaced straight to the top of my consciousness - and my heart. It cracked right open after I shared out loud that I was happy for J---- whilst still acknowledging my own pain.

We are healed in many ways, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. And often, for me, it involves other people bearing witness and then extending themselves through spirituality in action. A smile, a kind word, a hug, allowing me to cry in their arms - all are spiritual acts, all promote healing of the individual and the planet.

I was blessed to be the recipient of many such acts last night. From each of those people, God’s kindness and grace shone through. Embraced with such love and the knowledge that I am never alone, I move along in my healing journey to wake up, myself better able to express spirituality in action to others.

I am so grateful. Thank You, God - all of you!

No comments: