Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Glowing

In my early years of 12 Step program work and cultivating my relationship with my Higher Power, people new to my life as well as old, would comment that there was something “different” about me. Yes, I had lost some weight, but that was not quite it. I was “glowing” many would say.

Most could not pinpoint the reason back of it, just as Bill initially couldn’t when Ebby visited him (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 9). Bill was amazed that his friend was sober, but there was something in addition to his sobriety. Ebby explains that he has found “religion” (in this case, aka “spirituality”) and a God of his understanding. And so it was with me.

In the years since, my glow has ebbed and flowed, ebbed and flowed. But last night in my class “Spiritual Evolution in Consciousness” someone told me I was “glowing” and another commented that I seemed uplifted. I didn’t have a chance to reply, but I know it was for the same reason as it was for Ebby and for me off and on over the years of my spiritual journey.

Spending more and more time with Spirit, especially in the realm of gathering with fellow journeyers, strengthens my inner divine spark. My heart opens, my character assets come to the foreground (and remain there longer), I am at peace and in love and joy. All because of my deepened relationship with the God of my understanding.

Putting God first in my life, puts the glow in me, and I shine from the inside out. I serve God as a power of example to others about what Higher Power can do for me that I never could do for myself. I am grateful.

No comments: