Monday, June 1, 2009

Happiness

I flipped the page of my inspirational quotes wall calendar to the new month of June and read these words of Ralph Waldo Emerson: “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”

“To be useful” translates to me as being of service. And, that means giving - of material and financial resources and, more importantly of myself. These days, during my active kundalini meditation particularly, I pray for the highest good of each being that comes to mind, and send each the Light. I’ve come to realize that this is indeed a way that I am giving of myself, being of service. In Emerson’s words, this is a way that I am being useful.

My practice also brings out my compassion for those I happen to know are going through a challenging time. And, I feel my praying for them is making a difference, as all prayer does whether we are aware of it or not. It makes a difference for the being I’m praying for, and I am blessed as well.

Base on the aforementioned and other reasons, I would have to conclude that I am living well. And, while being happy may not be the purpose of my life, it sure does seem that these other things result in bringing me happiness and make the inner, inherent flame of joy burn brighter.

The purpose of life may not be to be happy, but when I live rightly, I cannot but help be happy.

No comments: