Thursday, June 4, 2009

Motivation Versus Inspiration

“Inspiration comes forth from within. It's what the light burning within you is about, as opposed to motivation, which is doing it because if you don't do it, there will be negative repercussions. Motivation is making myself do something that I don't really want to do. Inspiration is having the clear picture of what I am wanting -- and letting Universal forces come into play to get the outcome.”

- Abraham (Excerpt from 07/07/99 Spokane, WA workshop)

Hmmm. I’m thinking of some personal examples and, of course, all this admin work I’ve been doing clearly fits. I’m motivated to do this work solely because if I don’t, living in this culture will be a lot more difficult. However, I look forward to this particular work being done, for in the long run, I expect to be able to spend more time on being creative, to be inspired.

The origin of the word inspiration comes from the Latin words in and spirare (breathe), or in other words, to breathe into. I relate this to Spirit (God) breathing into me, in fact, starting with God breathing life into me. My breath is an ever present reminder of God being in me and with me always. And, it shows up in me as a creative being, expressing God always. Art, music, writing, speaking, helping, praying, and on and on it goes. God in me always. Being.

Motivation or inspiration? I’ll take inspiration any time I can!

No comments: