Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lessons from Millie

Yesterday’s Daily Guideposts was written by Guideposts editor, Edward Grinnan, upon the arrival into his life of his pooch Millie. It’s one that’s a keeper for me. Here’s most of it or read it in its entirety online.

Millie, I thought, you have so much to learn, and I’ll teach you.

Well, wouldn’t you know it, she’s probably taught me as much as I’ve taught her. A few lessons from Millie:

- When you’re happy, let the world know. For such a sweet, gentle dog, Millie has a monster bark. But she doesn’t bark much except when she’s happy. She reminds me that joy is contagious and there’s no reason to keep it in.

- Hold your tail up. A trainer observed that Millie exhibits confidence by walking with her tail held high. “It makes other dogs feel relaxed around her.” I should hold my head up when I walk down the street.

- Play, play, play. Learning to be a city dog is serious business. It takes a lot of concentration and practice. But don’t forget to play like crazy whenever the opportunity presents itself.

- Be thankful. For every meal, every walk, every nap, every friend. With a nuzzle or a lick, Millie says “Thank you.” I should remember to be grateful in all things too.

- Stay in the now! Millie greets each day as if it’s the greatest adventure of her life. Her whole body wags at the prospect of a morning walk. For me, staying in the moment is the only way to experience God in my life. He is here now, in the moment, the greatest adventure life holds.

Thank You, God, for Millie and all the ways You use her to teach this old dog new lessons."

No comments: