Thursday, March 11, 2010

It's Between Me & God

“We must not allow any consideration whatever, any institution, or organization, or any book, or any man or woman, to come between us and our direct seeking for God.” - The Sermon on the Mount by Emmet Fox, Page 136.

In this time of accelerated awakening and change, yet another soul I know is stepping out to take care of herself. Being in a committed relationship, she found herself cooperating to live a life together with her honey. But her cooperation moved into compromise, a compromise too great and not in alignment with her true being. The divine spark within was dying from lack of spiritual nourishment, her connection to Source faltering.

When one reaches that point, the spiritual being having a human experience cannot continue without some significant change. And when in a committed relationship, the change required can be quite drastic.

I know what my friend is going through and the choice she had to make, for I went through it myself very recently. For now, she is relocating back to her home town without her husband for that is where her spirit is nourished in so many ways and her connection with God is strong. Without doing so, she’s not the person her partner knows anyway, and if the situation continued in the same vein, he’d be left without her anyway.

Like my friend, I’m relatively a newlywed (five years for me, three for her). Unlike her, I did not have to physically relocate to get back on track in my seeking of God; in fact, my husband and I recently relocated to a place that fosters this. But what I had to do was come back to me. I had to finally make the decision to put my relationship with God truly first (not just pay lip service as I had been doing), and the relationship with my husband, second.

In so doing, my spirit is joyful and my relationship with God is thriving. And, you know what? My husband got back the true person he’d married. A blessing to us both!

We are each individuals and the work we do to awaken to God’s grace is truly an inside job. Only I can do it for me, and having a loving partner along the way is icing on the cake. But I must remember that God is the cake and has to get baked first.

Here’s to Spirit! Here’s to Joy!

No comments: