Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Time Well Spent

“Today, before I get started on my to-do list, I think I’ll call my friend ____, just to say hello. I know it will be time well spent.

Lord, remind me that when I get too busy to spend a moment with a friend, I’m busier than You want me to be." - Gina Bridgeman, Daily Guideposts, March 11, 2010

One of my dearest friends sent an email yesterday to review a monthly transaction we’ve been involved in. Underneath the words and even her signature of “Love, ____”, I sensed a coolness (it was confirmed by Rog without even my mentioning it). It stung and surprised me.

I started conjuring up stories about why she might feel cool towards me, of which any or all could be accurate. I replied in a loving way, but have still felt ‘off’ about it - it is so unlike her.

My unsettledness about it was still with me this morning as I thought about how we’ve not had a lengthy, quality conversation in months. With being in different time zones, her having young children to care for, my increased work load and other responsibilities, it’s been difficult to set a telephone date to connect.

So how synchronistic that this morning I got to read a devotional from several days ago that I feel had God’s hand in it. Relationships are the most important thing, starting first with the one with Spirit. When I find myself too busy to nurture that one or the ones of those dear to me, it is time to take serious inventory.

No matter what my friend is feeling and what the story might be, nonetheless it is true that I have not nurtured our friendship much in recent months.

Thank You, Spirit, for reminding me of what is important in life and to slow down. I will keep those dear to me in prayer, bless them, and endeavor more greatly to connect with them directly despite obstacles. It will be time well spent.

No comments: