Friday, March 26, 2010

Membership

Recently a fellow Mystic Choir member asked me why I was becoming a member of Unity of Sedona. You see, she’d contemplated becoming one but was a bit skittish. As was I.

I’d been a devout atheist for many years, and even after 20 years on a conscious spiritual path, I still had my issues around the word church. I associate church with organized religion, which at least these days I can kindly say that I am able to see how it is helpful for some folks. If I could get over being an atheist, surely I could get over my conception of church. I could no longer allow my mindset to keep me from my greater good.

Unity.org states:
“The five basic ideas that make up the Unity belief system are: 1) God is the source and creator of all. There is no other enduring power. God is good and present everywhere. 2) We are spiritual beings, created in God's image. The spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good. 3) We create our life experiences through our way of thinking. 4) There is power in affirmative prayer, which we believe increases our connection to God. 5) Knowledge of these spiritual principles is not enough. We must live them.” Sounds pretty painless! Well, actually these are ideas that I very much resonate with and believe in.

Unity is a vehicle for instruction, inspiration, and prayer support for spiritual seekers. It is a place of education. Unity of Sedona specifically is where my spirit gets nourished and soars, whether singing with the choir or opening my heart at a gratitude meeting. It’s a place where I can be of service in a myriad of ways. It’s a place where I feel comfortable spreading my wings trying out new things. It is a place of learning and love where awakening happens.

Why become a member when I already can participate in everything, except having a say with a vote on organizational decisions? Becoming a member, I feel ‘more a part of’, which is important to the little girl inside who always felt different, starting first with her family of origin. Outside of my 12 Step family (which is huge), I have never so felt a part of a group of people (it has not been for lack of searching). Becoming a member means I’m making a commitment to something I believe in and am willing to stand up for it. This is “my place” and I want to care for it; I want to support it. This community is my family and I want to protect it, strengthen it, nurture it. I feel as a member I can give with more of a whole heart.

As my family at Unity of Sedona helps me flourish and wake up, together we all awaken to a world of peace, love, and joy.

No comments: