Sunday, January 31, 2010

Giving

In a recent Daily Guideposts, Roberta Messner talked about how giving to others in a variety of ways lessened her chronic physical pain from an incurable disorder. Her doctor told her that her discovery was supported by both the Bible and medical science. “Giving releases endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers, Roberta. Studies have actually shown that volunteers, some of the most devoted givers of all, lead happier, healthier and longer lives.”

In another recent Daily Guideposts (01.23.10) I read the following prayer: “Dear Lord, help me do one thing today that brings someone farther away from a problem and closer to a solution.”

When I was very actively doing service in OA, there is no doubt that I felt happier and more fulfilled as I helped my peers live in the solution for their eating disorder problem. It was an honor and a privilege to serve. In my giving of myself, my self was receiving - a lovely, loving loop of giving and receiving in action. My own recovery was enhanced, my connection to Spirit strengthened, my channel clearer, my heart open.

Service is always a great way to quiet the ego, let God in, and shine my light to help others. As I set my intentions for moving my life and purpose forward, I enthusiastically (“with God”) give of myself. I am blessed as I bless others.

No comments: