Thursday, August 27, 2009

Enlightenment

This morning, during coffee vacation with Rog, my ego got off into expressing itself, venting frustration, fear, and who knows what else. I certainly wasn’t in my right mind as I thought about my current life and what was going on in it, or for that matter, what was not going on it. I was far from being in the mode of acceptance, surrender or joy. I was in a hissy fit.

And so I had to chuckle when I listened to an audio file Rog had sent my way last night. In it, the speaker told the following story.

Edgar Cayce was asked “What is it to be enlightened?” He said, “Prior to enlightenment you would chop wood, build fire, and carry water. Then after enlightenment you would chop wood, build fire, and carry water. The only difference after enlightenment is you would enjoy the process.”

Well I certainly wasn’t thinking in an enlightened manner this morning when my ego took over. I may not always be a happy camper enjoying the process that my life is in the middle of these days. However, if I would ‘just’ stay focused in the Now, on God, I might be enlightened for the moment (my ego would lighten up). And, there I would find peace.

No comments: