Monday, May 31, 2010

Remembrance

Today’s Daily Word acknowledges Memorial Day, a U.S. holiday. But, interestingly, it goes beyond remembering the men and women who gave their lives in our nation’s service. Here it is in its entirety:

Monday, May 31, 2010
Remember
I lovingly remember others.


Remembering those who have given their lives in service, I reflect upon their sacrifice. I learn from the lessons they taught and from their accomplishments. I also remember the people who have made a meaningful contribution in my life. Because of them I have learned to live more fully.

Just as I build upon the acts and achievements of those who have gone before me, others may build upon my life's example. As I remember others today, others may remember me in the future.

Today I take a few moments to appreciate those who taught me by example, to honor those who showed me the way. Their love and their willingness have changed my life for the better, and I am grateful.

When I remember you in my prayers, I always thank my God. - Philemon 1:4

It’s interesting that during this morning’s quiet time I listened to a meditative, subliminal CD about forgiveness and peace of mind. Several people from the past came into my consciousness. They were folks who I’d been close to for many years but am no longer in touch with. While we’ve chosen to not be in one another’s lives these days, I remember them with love for making my life richer. They helped me become who I am today. I have much gratitude for them - their love, their patience, their wisdom.

There are so many others I remember and for whom I am grateful: School teachers, relatives, employers, co-workers, those who came before me in the 12 Step program, other spiritual mentors, and of course, friends and my beloved life partner and husband, Roger Wyer. All have blessed me with their presence in my life - even if sometimes I hadn’t a clue!

Thank You, Spirit, for all those I’ve met on this journey called Life. Bless them, bless them, bless them.

No comments: