Thursday, May 20, 2010

Unconditional Love

This morning is to be my first as a volunteer at the Humane Society of Sedona. I am so looking forward to hanging out with the doggies (mostly), walking them and socializing with them.

I’ve always done service work to help people: 12 Step members, nursing home residents, children in inner city schools. Hence this is a big switch, especially since I’ve not had a dog in my household since I was a child many moons ago and so consider myself inexperienced.

So what prompted this? After all, I still plan to find a service position helping humans... Well, of late I have found my heart cracked so wide open to animals, especially pooches, and a yearning to be around them and help them.

I suppose this was preceded by my immersion back into increased spiritual work on my part once we left our world in Gilbert, AZ and got started in our new life in Sedona. Since then my heart has been opening and opening as I surround myself with the love and compassion of like-minded travelers waking up to a new earth and Spirit.

God is unconditional love, always seeking to give to His children. And dogs are unconditional love too. It was not lost on me when someone pointed out years ago that the word “dog” is “God” spelled backwards. God has many emissaries.

So I’m looking forward to this novel opportunity of spending more time with God, in the form of canines, exchanging love and service, giving and receiving.

No comments: