Thursday, May 27, 2010

God in the Arts

In today’s Daily Guideposts, writer June Attaway shares her experience about going to the theatre with her fourteen year old daughter. They went to see Henrik Ibsen’s The Master Builder, a play Julia hadn’t read in decades (I don’t think I’ve read it at all). It’s about an aging architect who feels threatened that his young assistant will surpass him.

Julia doesn’t realize until the end of the second act that the real master builder is God. However, her teenage daughter, upon hearing the title of the play, from the get-go had thought it was only going to be about God!

Reading this reminded me of how often I thought the lyrics to a song were about one thing, but then realized God was the subject or God was speaking to the listener.

Take, for instance, “You’ve Got a Friend,” written by Carole King and performed by James Taylor. Here’s an excerpt:

When you're down and troubled
and you need a helping hand
and nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
and soon I will be there
to brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name,
and you know wherever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah baby
to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
all you have to do is call
and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
You've got a friend.


I used to think this was about a close relationship between friends. But after I’d “come to believe,” it was suggested to me to think of it as being sung from God’s perspective. I tried it - and I loved it!

Here’s another set of lyrics excerpted from “Follow Me” by John Denver:

Follow me where I go, what I do, and who I know
Make it part of you to be a part of me
Follow me up and down, all the way and all around
Take my hand and say you’ll follow me.


Sounds like Spirit talking to me...

I love hearing God speak to me and since I have such a love of music and singing, I easily embrace and so enjoy hearing God’s messages through the musical word.

Literature, theatre, art, dance, music... God uses artisans as emissaries to spread His Word and to convey to us that we are not alone. How creative, how clever, how enjoyable. Thank You, Spirit!

No comments: