Saturday, May 22, 2010

Divine Dance Connection

Last night I went Sufi dancing - and what a divine experience it was!

This was not the whirling dervish variety developed by Rumi in the 13th century; it’s more like a moving meditation with singing.

Heart-centered Sufi dancing is a practice, a meditation of Divine Light and Bliss. One moves around the circle from partner to partner, allowing their thoughts to fall away as they experience the Divine in each other. As we connect with our eyes, we do simple, graceful movements while focusing on the positive words of powerful chants and songs.

Our humble, gentle, loving leader, Sydhasa, gave us instructions before each dance and taught us the words to contemporary songs of love, spirit, devotion, and peace. But it is not so much about the dance as it is the Divine connections we made with each other... so much from simply gazing into the eyes. I got to connect with spirits new to my acquaintance and strengthen connections already known.

Here is another form of spiritual practice that I can easily see incorporating into a (somewhat) regular part of my life. While I’d had some exposure to this practice before, last night’s gathering immersed me into it, bringing me joy, peace, and love. And, it was fun!

There are many ways we can connect to Source through other beings. This week God had me experience some ways that were a bit unique for me: socializing with a pooch, helping a child, and meditating with others through Sufi dancing. I am grateful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was very touched by your posting about Sufi dancing. I just returned from a few days at Sufi camp in the Ozarks -- and had a similar wonderful experience of connecting with the Divine in others through the dance. I'm hoping to do it again sometime!