Tuesday, May 11, 2010

We Are One

I just read a story about a gifted, delightful high school student who was diagnosed with cancer in the beginning of his senior year. Even as the disease rapidly advanced, he continued to attend school and do all his work, with the goal that he’d graduate with his class. He didn’t make it; despite Jeff's effort, he died just two months short of graduation.

It always saddens me when someone succumbs to an illness like cancer, especially a young adult or child. I have my views about the causes of sickness and how to remedy them - not of the western conventional nature - and so I often feel frustrated and angry too because of the failure to cure.

But this morning my usual feelings were quickly replaced by remembering that we come here to planet Earth to accomplish something, to be of service. So anytime a person ‘checks out,’ it can only mean that they’ve completed their mission. It’s time to shed the current physical body, which is not who they really are, and have their spirit go Home to God.

This is not a new idea for me but it still pains me when someone I know makes their transition, for after all I can’t hug a spirit (not yet anyway) and communicate with them in the same way as when we are both in physical form. But I’m internalizing that our spirits are eternal even whilst our physical bodies are temporary, and we are truly One.

God is in each and every one of us - it can’t be otherwise. In fact, all of us are God and nothing can separate the parts we seem to be divided up into.

I feel I’ve made a big shift here in my heart, a peacefulness. We are all connected no matter whether we’re still working on our mission on planet Earth or we’ve completed it and moved on to the next one.

We are all One, there is no time and no space, and we are always together.

Namasté.

No comments: