Monday, May 3, 2010

The Shift

Contrary to the thoughts of those around me growing up, I believed that if there was a God, He was a loving God, not a punishing God. His love for me couldn’t be dependent on anything I did or didn’t do.

As I came to believe, I have had to unlearn what I thought were “truths.”

For instance, my happiness is not dependent upon another person, place, or toy; it is dependent on keeping in fit spiritual condition and having a strong relationship with Spirit. It means working on my insides instead of seeking from that which is outside of me.

Then there’s the idea that if I were to give of myself and my possessions, I would be losing. Now I know that as I give I receive and that the two are one and the same. It’s win-win.

How about the idea that we’re separate? Nope - I’ve come to know that we are all One.

I like this exercise, inspired by one of this morning’s readings, of digging back and seeing how my philosophy - of people... the world... life - has shifted 180 degrees since I started waking up 20 years ago. How fascinating.

Once I was lost, but now I am found. Thank You, God!

No comments: